Top newspapers headlines in Nigeria for today, Thursday, 21st October 2021
1. Terrorists That Plotted Coup Against Me Are In Nigeria – Turkey President To Buhari
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey has stated that the Fetullah Terrorist Organisation (FETO) which allegedly planned to oust him are still active in Nigeria.
Truetells Nigeria reports that a failed coup was allegedly staged on July 15, 2016 to oust Erdogan.
Though many individuals and groups claimed that the coup was staged by Erdogan’s government to clamp down on those against his government.
Speaking on Wednesday at a joint press conference with President Muhammadu Buhari, the Turkey President called for collaboration to flush the terrorists out.
2. I’ve Been Telling Buhari To Declare Bandits As Terrorists Since 2017 – El-Rufai
The Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai has called on the federal government led by President Muhammadu Buhari to declare bandits as terrorists.
The Governor said this on Wednesday when he also noted that declaring them as terrorists would allow the military deal with the bandits accordingly without contradicting international laws guiding such operations.
El-Rufai disclosed that he has been telling the federal government since 2017 to declare the marauding bandits as terrorists, has written several letters on the same issue but his requests have not gotten any favourable response so far.
The Kaduna State Governor made his mind known on the issue while receiving the State Security Incidents Report for the Third Quarter of 2021.
3. No Massacre Occurred During #EndSARS Protest – Lai Mohammed
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has denied several reports that there was a massacre of Nigerian youth across the country during the #EndSARS protests last year.
The minister gave the denial at a news conference in Abuja on Wednesday amid the memorial organized to mark the one-year anniversary of the #EndSARS protests.
Mohammed stated that most of the reports that people were killed by the security agencies at the Lekki toll gate on October 20th, 2020 were false and misleading.
The minister said that the families of the supposed victims were yet to show up and give evidence a year after such allegations were made.
He also berated international media outlet, CNN; human rights group, Amnesty International, and popular Disc Jockey, DJ Switch for giving out what he described as fake news.
4. Police Accuse IPOB Of Killing Two Imo Traditional Rulers
The Imo Police Command has accused the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) of attacking 20 monarchs during a meeting on Tuesday.
Truetells Nigeria had reported that some unknown gunmen killed two traditional rulers during an attack at the Nnenasa community in Njaba Local Government Area of the state.
The monarchs from the area were in a meeting with the council chairman, Hon. Emeka Ihenacho, at the council’s headquarters, when gunmen invaded the place.
But in a statement on Wednesday by the state Police spokesman, Michael Abattam, the Police Commissioner, Rabiu Hussaini, claimed that IPOB was responsible for the death of the two traditional rulers.
According to Hussaini, the Command received information on Tuesday around 3 pm that suspected IPOB members were attacking some traditional rulers in the Njaba area of the state.
He explained the Command’s tactical teams comprising of the Special Forces, Rapid Response Squad and anti-kidnapping Squad were immediately dispatched to the scene.
Unfortunately, he said before the arrival of the police, the suspected IPOB members had fled the scene after killing the two monarchs.
5. Ganduje Can’t Fool Us, We Will Only Listen To Mai Mala Buni – Senator Shekarau
Senator Ibrahim Shekarau (APC-Kano Central) has stated that him and his supporters would not be fooled by Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State.
Truetells Nigeria reports that the APC in Kano State has been embroiled in crisis which has brought about the emergence of two factional state Chairman.
While one is loyal to Ganduje, the other is loyal to Senator Shekarau and his faction.
The Kano governor had recently stated that he is ready to reconcile with aggrieved members of the party in the state, stressing that there would always be division and reconciliation.
But in a post on Facebook on Wednesday, Senator Shekarau has stated that his faction would only listen to the Mai Mala Buni-led national leadership of the APC.
The former governor vowed to continue his support for the newly-elected factional leaders of the party under Alhaji Ahmadu Haruna Danzago.
6. Why We Fired Tear Gas At Protesters At Lekki Tollgate – Police
The Lagos Police Command has disclosed why its men fired tear gas at #EndSARSMemorial protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate on Wednesday.
Truetells Nigeria earlier reported that the Police fired tear gas at the protesters, who were holding a memorial car procession to mark the #EndSARS one-year anniversary.
But in an interview with reporters on Wednesday, the state Police Commissioner, Hakeem Odumosu, said the police fired tear gas at the protesters to avoid breakdown of law and order.
Odumosu said the protesters went against the promise they earlier made that the procession will start by 8 am and end by 10 am.
The police commissioner stated that any demonstration that goes beyond the agreed time is constituting a nuisance and will not be tolerated.
He added that the youths remaining are the miscreants, hoodlums that want to capitalize on that to attack innocent people and start robbing people.
7. Bandits Kill 343 Persons, Kidnap 830, Injure 210 Others In Kaduna Within 3 Months
Official figures released by the Kaduna State government have confirmed that no less than 343 persons lost their lives in the state in the past three months.
Apart from those killed, 830 others were kidnapped while 210 residents also suffered various forms of injury in the third quarter of 2021.
This was confirmed on Wednesday by the State Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs Samuel Aruwan while resenting a security report to the State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.
The report also observed that 69 bandits were killed by security agents in the period under review.
8. EndSARS Protest: ‘Saraki Painting Buhari Govt Black For Political Gain’
The Buhari Media Organisation (BMO) on Wednesday accused former Senate President, Bukola Saraki of seeking to make political capital from the first anniversary of the Lekki toll gate shooting of EndSARS protesters by “painting the Federal Government black”.
Truetells Nigeria had reported Saraki as saying that nothing has really been done by the government to resolve the issues that caused the EndSARS protests in the first place.
He had said, “It is worrying that despite the acceptance of the ‘5 for 5 Demands’, nothing has really been done to resolve the issues that caused the protests in the first place.
Reacting in a statement signed by its Chairman Niyi Akinsiju and Secretary Cassidy Madueke, BMO said Saraki’s statement varies with all that the Federal Government has done in addressing the issues that led to the EndSARS protest.
9. Matawalle Has Made Me Irrelevant But I Am Ready For Political Battle With APC – Zamfara Deputy Governor
Zamfara State Deputy Governor, Mahdi Aliyu Gusau has accused Governor Bello Matawalle of making him irrelevant.
Truetells Nigeria reports that Gusau had refused to dump the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, for the All Progressives Congress, APC, with his principal early this year.
Speaking at an inspection of a new PDP Secretariat in the state, Gusau accused the state House of Assembly for witch-hunting him.
He however boasted that the PDP was very much ready to wrestle power from the APC in 2023.
According to the deputy governor, he has assumed leadership of the opposition party since the defection of Matawalle to the APC.
10. Premier League: Newcastle United Announce Steve Bruce Exit
Relegation-threatened English Premier League side Newcastle United have parted ways with manager Steve Bruce.
Bruce’s departure which was long expected was announced by the club in a statement on its website on Wednesday.
“Newcastle United can confirm that Steve Bruce has left his position as head coach by mutual consent.
“He leaves the Magpies after more than two years in charge, having steered the club to 13th and 12th-place finishes in the Premier League and reaching the quarter-final stage in both the Emirates FA Cup and Carabao Cup during his tenure.
“Newcastle United would like to place on record its gratitude to Steve for his contribution and wishes him well for the future,” the statement said.