Charles Soludo Profile and Biography of Charles Soludo, Anambra Governor-elect and six things to know about him can be accessed below.
Truetells Nigeria reports that Prof. Charles Chukwuma Soludo is one of the famous Nigerian economists and also had a one-time regime as the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria.
There are various interesting things to tell about Charles Chukwuma Soludo, you find them all in this article.
Charles Soludo Profile: Biography Of Charles Soludo, Anambra Governor Elect
|Real name||Charles Chukwuma Soludo, CFR|
|Date of birth||28 July 1960|
|Country of Origin||Federal Republic of Nigeria|
|Net worth||₦2.3 billion – $5 Million|
|Education||University of Nigeria, Nsukka|
Charles Chukwuma Soludo Background
Born on the 28th of July 1960, Charles Chukwuma Soludo hails from Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State, Nigeria. When he was eight years old, Charles Soludo lost his mother Mgbafor in his home town of Isuanioma near Isuofia, in Anambra State. Not much details is known about his childhood, however, Charles Chukwuma Soludo has always had a knack for being a scholar. This is obvious in his academic pursuit, and his subsequent career choice as a lecturer.
Right after his primary and secondary education, Charles Chukwuma Soludo pursued his Bachelors of Science degree in Economics from the University of Nsukka, Enugu state. Being a scholar and a bright student, he graduated with a First-Class degree in 1984. Three years after this, in 1987, Charles Chukwuma Soludo undertook his Masters degree in Economics from the University of Nsukka, Enugu State. His PhD was also in Economics from the same university. In both of these graduate studies, Charles Soludo was exceptional as he bagged First Class results in both with various awards.
Soludo ACADEMIC PROWESS
Charles Chukwuma Soludo’s brilliant mind and scholartics sense in the field of Macroeconomics has taken him on lecturing and researching spree both locally and Internationally. He started his career as an academia quite early. In 1998, Charles Soludo became a professor of economics at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, and in 1999, he became a visiting professor at Swarthmore College in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, USA.
Prof Charles Soludo has been a visiting scholar at the International Monetary Fund, the University of Cambridge, the Brookings Institution, the University of Warwick and the University of Oxford. At these universities, he lectures on various aspects of Economics, some of which are multi-country macro econometric modelling, techniques of computable general equilibrium modelling, survey methodology and panel data econometrics.
Every professor has publications to his/her name, it is one of the hallmarks of being a veteran professor. Same can be said of Charles Soludo, in addition to the numerous publications in his name, he has also co-authored and authored numerous books. Some of his publications include;
- “North-South Macroeconomic Interactions: Comparative Analysis using the MULTIMOD and INTERMOD global models”, Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Brookings discussion papers in international economics, Brookings Institution (1992)
- “Implications of alternative macroeconomic policy responses to external shocks in Africa”, Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Development research papers series, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Socio-Economic Research and Planning Division (1993)
- “Growth performance in Africa: Further evidence on the external shocks versus domestic policy debate”, Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Development research papers series, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Socio-Economic Research and Planning Division (1993)
- “The Consequences of US Fiscal Actions in a Global Model with Alternative Assumptions about the Exchange Regime in Developing Countries”, Ralph C. Bryan and Charles Chukwuma Soludo. Chapter 13 in David Currie and David Vines, eds., North-South Linkages and International Macroeconomic Policy, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press for the Centre for Economic Policy Research. (Brookings Discussion Paper in International Economics No. 103. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution, February 1994.)
- “Macroeconomic adjustment, trade, and growth: Policy analysis using a macroeconomic model of Nigeria”, Charles Chukwuma Soludo, AERC research paper, African Economic Research Consortium (1995) ISBN 9966-900-26-8 ISBN 978-9966900265
- Soludo, Charles Chukwuma (1998). Macroeconomic Policy Modelling of African Economies. Acena. ISBN 978-2114-29-4.
- “Our Continent, Our Future: African Perspectives on Structural Adjustment”, T. Mkandawire and C.C. Soludo, Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa, Dakar, 1999, in Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa, 1:2, 1999.
- “African Voices on Structural Adjustment: A Companion to Our Continent, Our Future”, Edited by Thandika Mkandawire and Charles C. Soludo. At least three editions: IDRC/CODESRIA/Africa World Press 2002, ISBN 0-88936-888-0, 280 pp.; Paperback, ISBN 978-0-88936-888-0 Jan 2003; Africa World Press 2003, ISBN 0-86543-779-3
- Okonjo-Iweala, Ngozi; Charles Chukwuma Soludo and Mansur Muhtar (2002). The Debt Trap in Nigeria: Towards a Sustainable Debt Strategy. Africa World Press. ISBN 1-59221-001-5.
- “The Politics of Trade and Industrial Policy in Africa: Forced Consensus”, Edited by Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Michael Osita Ogbu and Ha-Joon Chang, Africa World Press (January 2004), ISBN 1-59221-164-X, ISBN 978-1-59221-164-7 (Also International Development Research Centre, ISBN 1-59221-165-8)
- “Potential Impacts of the New Global Financial Architecture on Poor Countries”, Edited by Charles Soludo, Musunuru Rao, ISBN 978-2-86978-158-0, 80 pages, 2006, CODESRIA, Senegal, Paperback
In 2003, Professor Charles Soludo joined the Nigerian government as the Chief Economic Adviser to former President Olusegun Obasanjo and the Chief Executive Officer of the National Planning Commission of Nigeria.
In May 2004, he became the Chairman of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). Also, he got an appointment from the Nigerian President – Mohammadu Buhari, to be part of the newly formed 8-member Economic Advisory Council (EAC) on the 16th of September 2019.
In 2010, he campaigned to be the Governor of his hometown, however, he lost to Peter Obi during the elections. But it seems, the erudite professor hasn’t given up on politics yet, he still aspires to be the Governor of Anambra in 2022 (@soludo2022).
Awards And Recognitions
- Red Cross awards for his contributions to the development of the society – 2018.
- The Banker Magazine published by the Financial Times of London named him the Global and African Central Bank Governor of the Year – 2005, 2006 and 2007
- Global Banker’s Award in London – 2006
- D.SC (Honoris Causa) by the University of Calabar.
- Financial Times of London named him a Great Reformer.
- Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi honoured him with a D.SC (Honoris Causa).
- Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR) – Nigeria’s third-highest national honour.
Charles Soludo Profile: Biography Of Charles Soludo, Anambra Governor Elect
Charles Chukwuma Soludo Net worth
Mr. Soludo Family
Charles Chukwuma Soludo is happily married to Nonye Soludo, and their marriage is blessed with six children.
The versatile economist, Charles Chukwuma Soludo has been known for his high taste for class. Though no much public details are known about his personal cars, however, he has often been reported commuting in conveys of at least seven exotic cars.
Range Rover is a spec product of Land Rover which is a British automobile brand in the four-wheel-drive cars category that exclusively offers premium and luxury sport utility vehicles (SUV). Range Rover is one of the youngest of the British car brand and launched in 1970, which it was first built in 1967 and finalized in 1969.
Land Cruiser Prado
The Land Cruiser carries over mostly unchanged. The only update from 2020 is that the Heritage Edition can now be optioned with a third row of seats. The top-of-the-line model is also now available in Classic Silver and Magnetic Gray metallic paint colors.
When the one-time CBN governor was in office, he had a place of residence at 14 Daresalam Street, Wuse 11, Abuja, which is one of the most expansive areas in Abuja.
Prof Soludo has also lived in Ethiopia, UK, and the USA and traveled to 45 other countries as an itinerant scholar and consultant to 20 international organizations including the World Bank, IMF, European Union, AfDB, USAID, UK-DFID, UNDP, UNCTAD.
Here are six important things you need to know about the newly elected Anambra state governor.
1. First Class Economics Graduate
Soludo was born on July 28, 1960, in Isuofia- Aguata, LGA, Anambra state. He studied Economics at the prestigious University of Nigeria, Nsukka, where he bagged a B.Sc (First Class Hons) in 1984.
Despite losing his mom at a tender age, Soludo kept a high-flyer status in school.
2. Award-Winning Student
The APGA governorship candidate was a prolific macroeconomist, he obtained his three degrees and then a professorship at the University of Nigeria in Nsukka, Enugu State.
For his first degree at UNN, the former CBN governor clinched the departmental and Faculty prizes as best graduating student.
Soludo also bagged his PhD (1989) in Econometrics/Monetary Economics at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, and won the Vice-Chancellor’s award.
3. An Extraordinary Lecturer and Author
Prof. Charles, who is popularly known as a public policy expert and politician, started his lecturing career at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
By 1999, Soludo became a visiting professor at the Swarthmore College in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, USA, and also a lecturer at Oxford, Cambridge, and Warwick University. In addition, has also been a guest scholar at the International Monetary Fund (IMF), and the Brookings Institution.
4. Legendary Consultant
The Aguata born economist has worked as a consultant for numerous international firms such as the African Development Bank (AfDB), Abidjan, The World Bank, Washington DC, International Monetary Fund (IMF), Washington, DC, and so on.
5. Appointee of two presidents (Obasanjo & Buhari)
Based on his wealth of knowledge and expertise, Professor Soludo was invited to serve his country in 2003 as the Chief Economic Adviser to former President Olusegun Obasanjo and the Chief Executive Officer of the National Planning Commission of Nigeria. In May 2004, he was made governor and chairman of the board of directors of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
Also in 2019, due to his impressive work while in charge of the CBN, Soludo was named as a member of President Muhammadu Buhari’s Economic Advisory Council.
6. Father of Six
Aside from being a public figure, Prof. Soludo is a proud husband to Mrs Money Soludo and a father of six children. One of his children, Ozonna is a musician, making waves in the Nigerian music industry.
Professor Soludo’s impact on the economic status of Nigeria, especially during his tenure as Governor of CBN cannot be forgotten in a hurry. He remains a highly sought-after economist across the globe.