President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday appointed Major General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff.
Yahaya replaces the late General Ibrahim Attahiru who recently died in a fatal plane crash en-route Kaduna State along with other senior officers and crew members.
Here are few things to know about him:
- Major General Farouk Yahaya is of Regular Course 37 of the Nigerian Defence Academy
- He hails from Zamfara State.
- Until his appointment, he was the Theatre Commander Operation Hadin Kai, formerly known as Operation Lafiya Dole in the Northeast.
- Yahaya took over from Maj.-Gen. Olusegun Adeniyi, who was redeployed to the Nigerian Army Resource Centre as Senior Research Fellow.
- He was also formerly General Officer Commanding Officer of the 1 Division of the Nigerian Army.
- Yahaya was also the Commander of 4 Brigade Headquarters of the Nigerian Army.